The Writings of Melanie Klein, Volumes 1-4
Separate volumes are available in hardback and in paperback. First published in 1975 by Hogarth Press and The Institute of Psychoanalysis. Hardback edition now by Karnac. Paperback editions published by Vintage.
Love, Guilt and Reparation and Other Works 1921-1945 (The Writings of Melanie Klein, Volume 1)
The earlier papers of this book reveal Klein's preoccupation with the impact of infant anxieties upon child development. The later papers on the psychogenesis of manic depressive states and on the Oedipus complex introduce a new theory of the development of the mind. Find out about translations.
- The Development of a Child (1921)
- Inhibitions and Difficulties at Puberty (1922)
- The Role of the School in the Libidinal Development of the Child (1923)
- Early Analysis (1923)
- A Contribution to the Psychogenesis of Tics (1925)
- The Psychological Principles of Early Analysis (1926)
- Symposium on Child-Analysis (1927)
- Criminal Tendencies in Normal Children (1927)
- Early Stages of the Oedipus Conflict (1928)
- Personification in the Play of Children (1929)
- Infantile Anxiety Situations Reflected in a Work of Art and in the Creative Impulse (1929)
- The Importance of Symbol-Formation in the Development of the Ego (1930)
- The Psychotherapy of the Psychoses (1930)
- A Contribution to the Theory of Intellectual Inhibition (1931)
- The Early Development of Conscience in the Child (1933)
- On Criminality (1934)
- A Contribution to the Psychogenesis of Manic-Depressive States (1935)
- Weaning (1936)
- Love, Guilt and Reparation (1937)
- Mourning and its Relation to Manic-Depressive States (1940)
- The Oedipus Complex in the Light of Early Anxieties (1945)
The Psycho-Analysis of Children (1932) (The Writings of Melanie Klein, Volume 2)
Demonstrates Melanie Klein's pioneering work in devising the play technique of child analysis, and in developing new ideas that throw light on the roots of child and adult neuroses and psychoses. Find out about translations.
Part I: The Technique of Child Analysis
- The Psychological Foundations of Child Analysis
- The Technique of Early Analysis
- An Obsessional Neurosis in a Six-Year-Old Girl
- The Technique of Analysis in the Latency Period
- The Technique of Analysis in Puberty
- Neurosis in Children
- The Sexual Activities of Children
Part II: Early Anxiety-Situations and their Effect on the Development of the Child
- Early Stages of the Oedipus Conflict
- The Relations Between Obsessional Neurosis and the Early Stages of the Super-Ego
- The Significance of Early Anxiety-Situations in the Development of the Ego
- The Effects of Early Anxieity-Situations on the Sexual Development of the Girl
- The Effects of Early Anxiety-Situations on the Sexual Development of the Boy
Envy and Gratitude and Other Works 1946-1963 (The Writings of Melanie Klein, Volume 3)
Contains papers from 1946 until Klein's death in 1960, and two papers published posthumously. Her major work, 'Notes on Some Schizoid mechanisms', introduces the concept of the paranoid-schizoid position. Other papers show the interplay of the paranoid-schizoid and depressive positions in infant and adult development. In 'Envy and Gratitude', her last and probably most controversial major work, she introduces her theory of primary envy. Find out about translations.
- Notes on Some Schizoid Mechanisms (1946)
- On the Theory of Anxiety and Guilt (1948)
- On the Criteria for the Termination of a Psycho-Analysis (1950)
- The Origins of Transference (1952)
- The Mutual Influences in the Development of Ego and Id (1952)
- Some Theoretical Conclusions Regarding the Emotional Life of the Infant (1952)
- On Observing the Behaviour of Young Infants (1952)
- The Psycho-Analytic Play Technique: Its History and Significance (1955)
- On Identification (1955)
- Envy and Gratitude (1957)
- On the Development of Mental Functioning (1958)
- Our Adult World and its Roots in Infancy (1959)
- A Note on Depression in the Schizophrenic (1960)
- On Mental Health (1960)
- Some Reflections on The Oresteia (1963)
- On the Sense of Loneliness (1963)
- The Importance of Words in Early Analysis (1927)
- Note on 'A Dream of Forensic Interest' (1928)
- Theoretical Deductions from an Analysis of Dementia Praecox in Early Infancy (1929)
- Review of Woman's Periodicity by Mary Chadwick (1933)
- Some Psychological Considerations: A comment (1942)
Narrative of a Child Analysis: The Conduct of the Psycho-Analysis of Children as Seen in the Treatment of a Ten-Year-Old Boy (The Writings of Melanie Klein, Volume 4)
Klein's last volume, appearing in 1961, provides us with a vivid picture of her work with ten-year-old Richard. Keeping notes of each session, she was able to describe the day-to-day course of the analysis, interpreting Richard's drawings, play, verbal associations, and reports of dreams. In a series of accompanying notes, Klein links the clinical material to theoretical conclusions, offering us an invaluable guide to the technique of psychoanalysing children. Find out about translations.
Klein, M. Autobiography. Two versions of Melanie Klein's autobiography are available from the Downloads section. One, annotated and transcribed by Janet Sayers and published in 2013, brings together 10 typed 'fragments' from Klein's archive. This version complements another more complete autobiography, transcribed by Robert Hinshelwood from what seem to be Klein's final compliation of her notes. These were found in the archives of Roger Money-Kyrle and published in 2016.
Klein, M., Heimann, P., Isaacs, S. and Rivière, J. Developments in Psychoanalysis. 1952 (Also in Karnac Maresfield Reprints, 1985.) Find out about translations.
A collection of the Kleinian papers given during and soon after the Controversial Discussions. (The Controversial Discussions are described below under King and Steiner.)
Klein, M. and Rivière, J. Love, Hate, and Reparation. (Psycho-Analytical Epitomes No. 2.) 1937, reprinted in 1953. Find out about translations.
Two clearly and simply written public lectures.
Klein, M., Heimann, P. and Money-Kyrle, R. E. (Eds.) New Directions in Psycho-Analysis: The Significance of Infant Conflict in the Pattern of Adult Behaviour. 1955, reprinted by Karnac 1993. Find out about translations.
A collection of original papers in clinical, theoretical and 'applied' psychoanalysis by Klein, her close colleagues, and others influenced by her ideas.